Thursday, May 30, 2013

Struggle and Inspiration


FB Post, May 30, 2013
Hello and Good Morning!  Isn’t it bothersome when the things we have to do get in the way of things we want to do?  Hence my late start.  Never mind; I'm here now and that's all that really matters!
Here’s a question: Do you need to be seeking inspiration in order to be inspired?
What is it you struggle with?  I am notoriously late.  Not because I don't care; I do care.  Very much!  But some things come naturally to some and a struggle for others.  And, one of my many struggles is management of time.  I admire those that have that gift; I am inspired to be more like them and I do try.  But, sometimes I think aliens have beamed me up as I go from having plenty of time to a mad dash out the door!  (However, that would explain that strange pentagon-shaped rash around my bellybutton... :) ).  But each of us has a gift and each is different.  Mine may not be the awareness of time, but I do have my part to play.  For instance, I find it difficult to go out and not engage in conversations with perfect strangers (drives my kids crazy!).  I enjoy making connections and hearing people’s stories.  So while I may take longer to get things done, I so enjoy my time along the way and, from the general sense, I believe others do as well.  You just never know where you will find inspiration.
But can a person find inspiration if they’re not looking for it?  I see people all the time (myself ALWAYS included as it is really only my own point of view I can share) passing up moments of inspiration because they are so set on being “right”.  Whatever that is.  People get conviction confused with ego.  And the ego is something that will break a person rather than build them up.
I have a friend who is very self-conscious of her weight.  And it controls her actions, for better or for worse.  And then I see people at the gym who are as big, if not bigger, and they are out there shaking their groove thing right along side of me with reckless abandon!  They don’t let their size get in their way.  As to their internal struggles, I have no idea, but they are living life and not letting an idea get in their way but rather taking an idea and letting it inspire them.
We are our greatest champions and most daunting enemies, all depending on how we see things.
Yesterday, as we were driving to school, Ben and I were talking about “hard choices” and what makes them hard.  I said, “Well, it’s interesting to me how one person can look at a situation and think ‘Oh, that is going to be so hard!’ while another will look at the exact same scenario and think ‘Oh, that is going to be fun!  When can we start?’  It all depends on how we choose to see it.”  (I think Ben may have thought that even remotely interesting by his 10 year old “hmm” response.)
I struggle with perspective like everyone else.  But I am conditioning myself to see the good where many would say there is none.  That is because that is the way I choose to see things.  Is that unrealistic or, as some may say, a “Pollyanna” way of living life (though I love her optimism as it was once described to me)?  Not at all.  As stated before, I fully recognize there are terrible, terrible things in the world.  Real evil.  But I believe the good outweighs the bad.  And the more I look for it, the more evident it becomes.
There is a lady I know who, well, let’s just say, forget cup half-full vs. half-empty; she never got a cup and she’s not happy about it!  When speaking with her she said she is the “bad guy” in her house when it comes to rules and making things happen.  I said, “So you’re good at leading and following through.  That sounds like a wonderful attribute to have!  Something I could surely have more of.”  Based on her response, I don’t think she had thought of it that way.
As some of you may know, there are words I use cautiously and even hold in contempt.  One of those words is the word “fault”, for many reasons, but particularly when referring to ones own character.  One may say writing long diatribes as boring and overly loquacious; others may see it as an attribute in being reflective and thoughtful (if you made it this far, you may be one of them! ☺).  One person’s perceived fault is another’s attribute.  All depending on how you look at it.
So, today, will you be inspired?  I am inspired all the time.  I find inspiration at the doctor’s, standing in line, speaking with old friends, and people I’ve seen for years and barely know.  They’re like hidden treasures.  How am I inspired?  In particular, in humanity.  The kindnesses of others.  When I let go of the façade of being “right”, I allow myself to let in all components of the world and use them to my best ability.  Every creature has a part.  It’s incredibly empowering.  Anger isn’t power.  Compassion is power.  And therefore, I seek it out.  And I am rarely, if ever, disappointed.
I hope you find inspiration that leads you to peace today.  You just never know where you’ll find it!  Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment